Smartphone Usage and its Applications among School Going Children (5-16 Years) in Lahore, Pakistan


Affiliations

  • University of the Punjab, Fatima Memorial Hospital College of Medicine and Dentistry, Public Health, Department of Public Health, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
  • University of the Punjab, Public Health, Department of Public Health, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
  • Services Hospital, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
  • Mayo Hospital, PG Trainee in Pediatric Medicine, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

Abstract

Objective: To analyze the most used applications on smartphone among school going children (5-16 years). Study Design and Setting: Descriptive cross sectional study comprised of five months (April 2017 to July 2017); concerned community survey i.e. door to door data collection method was carried out in Lahore, Pakistan. Material and Methods: Multistage cluster sampling technique was used. 6200 school going children were selected, 4030 (65%) respond to the study and remaining 2170 (35%) do not respond to the study (excluded from the research). Among 4030 school going children, 2889 (71.7%) were smartphone users (included in the analysis) and 1141 (28.3%) do not use smartphone (excluded in the analysis). Among 2889 school going smartphone users, 1993 (69%) were short term smartphone users and 896 (31%) were long term smartphone users. Descriptive statistics and Bivariate logistic regression was applied on the gathered data. Results: Significant associations were found. The use of smartphone for messaging have p-value = 0.19, for Facebook p-value = 0.11, for WhatsApp p-value = 0.043, for playing games p-value < 0.001, for listening music p-value = 0.049, for watching videos and movies p-value = 0.030, for alarm purpose p-value = 0.001 and for camera purpose p-value = 0.015. Conclusion: The research findings showed that most used applications on smartphone among school going children (5-16 years) were WhatsApp and used smartphone for playing games, listening music, watching videos and movies, alarm and camera purpose with respect to which the study was concise.

Keywords

Short Term Smartphone Usage, Long Term Smartphone Usage, Applications, School Going Children.

Full Text:

References

Zheng P. and Ni, LM. "Smart Phone and Next Generation Mobile Computing". 2016. doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-088560-2.X5000-X

Gowthami S. and Kumar SVK. "Impact of smartphone: A pilot study on positive and negative effects". International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Applied Science (IJSEAS). 2(3): 473–78.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Tips to reduce screen time. 2013. Retrieved August 17, 2017 from, https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/reduce-screentime/tips-to-reduce-screen-time.htm

Pakistan Advisers Society. Smartphone Usage in Pakistan [Info graphics]. 2017. Retrieved September 24, 2017 from, http://www.pas.org.pk/smart-phone-usage-in-pakistan-infographics/

Billieux J, Maurage P, Lopez-Fernandez O, Kuss DJ and Griffiths MD. Can Disordered Mobile Phone Use Be Considered a Behavioral Addiction? An Update on Current Evidence and a Comprehensive Model for Future Research. Current Addiction Reports. 2015; 2(2): 156–62.

Kardefelt-Winther D. "Conceptualizing Internet use disorders: Addiction or coping process?". Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 2017; 71(7): 459–66.

Lopez-Fernandez O. "Short version of the Smartphone Addiction Scale adapted to Spanish and French: Towards a cross-cultural research in problematic mobile phone use". Addictive Behaviors. 2017; 64:275–80.

Rosen LD, Carrier LM and Cheever NA. "Facebook and texting made me do it: Media-induced task-switching while studying". Computers in Human Behavior. 2013; 29(3): 948–58.

Sarfaraz S, Bano T, Fatima W, Ramzan S, Sabir A and Irfan S. "Mobile phones: a threat to health of young generation". European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research. 2015; 2(7): 17–22.

Lin Y-H, Lin Y-C, Lee Y-H, Lin P-H, Lin S-H, Chang L-R, et al. "Time distortion associated with smartphone addiction: Identifying smartphone addiction via a mobile application (App)". Journal of Psychiatric Research. 2015. 65: 139–45.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.